Over time, more and more devices are appearing in our homes to facilitate our lives and save our time for more interesting and important things.
It is known that it takes a lot of time and effort to clean the apartment. And in the near future there is no foreseen the emergence of a robot cleaner that does everything himself: vacuuming, washing floors and windows, wiping dust and mirrors. In all these operations, human labor is involved, and appliances and household chemicals only make it easier. But we still dream about how to get rid of at least a couple of tedious actions – turn on the device and get the finished result without putting your hands on it.
Not so long ago in the market appeared one automated device that can manage in the process of harvesting without human help – it’s a robot vacuum cleaner.
What are robots vacuum cleaners, their types
A robot vacuum cleaner is a device equipped with artificial intelligence that is capable of cleaning surfaces in an automatic mode. Robots appeared on sale not so long ago and, despite the rapid development of this technology, are still far from perfect.
Visually the robot cleaner resembles a disk about 10 cm thick and about 30 cm in diameter. Although there are models that resemble a square with rounded corners. Thanks to the low height, these machines easily penetrate under the beds, cabinets and sofas – that is, places where we do not get every time.
Movement of the robot is carried out with the help of an electric motor and small wheels, usually in an amount of 3 pieces. The vacuum cleaner is controlled by buttons located on the upper surface of the disk.
The robot is equipped with a battery , on the capacity of which depends the period of continuous work of the cleaner. The average area of 20 square meters. m such a robot will remove about 45-50 minutes.
On the market there are many models of different price categories, with a different set of functions. The price does not always determine the quality. Therefore, even before choosing a particular model of the robot vacuum cleaner, you need to make a clear picture of your desires and really assess the possibilities of obtaining the desired. This will help to choose the right model when buying and do not get frustrated with its operation.
So, the types of robots of vacuum cleaners:
- Directly the robot is a vacuum cleaner designed to remove dust and debris from the surfaces by sucking them with a stream of air.
- Washing robot vacuum cleaner – its task is to clean the floors with detergents.
- Robot polisher – can carry out both dry and wet cleaning, using for this purpose napkins from microfiber.
I have a pet. Is Roomba dangerous for him?
Roomba has a thoughtful security system. If you raise the robot in the process of work – it just turns off. If the cleaner somewhere gets stuck, which happens very rarely – he will turn off and loudly tell you about the problem in Russian. Of course, we recommend that you take care and look after animals and children if they are in the room where the vacuum cleaner is working. But most often children and animals are friends with Rumba.
Can Roomba remove water from the floor?
No, Roomba can not clean the liquid and it can not be used on wet surfaces. For wet cleaning, there are other robots for wet cleaning – iRobot Scooba and iRobot Braava.
Can Roomba work when I’m not at home?
Yes. But for complete safety, we recommend not leaving young children and animals alone with the robot, as they can interfere with its operation.
Which devices help the cleaner to navigate in space
This question interests many, therefore it is worthwhile to highlight it separately. In order for the movements of the device to be as meaningful as possible, several technologies are used at once:
- Contact sensors protect the device from “collision” on various obstacles. They are located close to the edge of the body and work even with a light impact. In this case, the robot receives a signal about the presence of the obstacle and changes the trajectory of motion.
- The ultrasonic range finder helps to determine the distance from the vacuum cleaner to the object by emitting ultrasound and catching its reflection from the obstruction.
- Laser rangefinder – helps the robot scan the surrounding space and draw up a map of the room. The function is necessary in order that the vacuum cleaner can maximally process the entire area of the room.
- Virtual wall – infrared sensors that allow you to “block” the passage to other rooms for the vacuum cleaner. Used to prevent the robot from leaving the room.
- Infrared sensors are designed to prevent the device from falling from a height. They are necessary wherever there are stair flights, from which the device can fall and crash.
- The “local cleaning” function allows you to set the robot a certain radius of action. Used in places where it is necessary to clean the surface especially carefully. Do not think that all models of vacuum cleaners are equipped with a full set of listed functions, so you should consult the seller about their availability with the model you have chosen.
Other functions of the device
All robots vacuum cleaners in the kit have a base on which they are recharged. In the event that the battery charge is close to a certain minimum, the vacuum cleaner rushes to its base, finds it with special sensors and connects to the charger. At the end of charging, he will continue to work independently.
Depending on the “advanced” model charging time can take from 40 minutes to 8 hours. Pollution sensors – they are equipped with most models. These devices allow you to recognize the most polluted places, and their cleaning is longer and more thorough.
Cheap models of vacuum cleaners are often confused in the wires lying on the floor, so they have to be lifted before cleaning. In more expensive models, the system is used against entangling the robot in wires or any small objects. When it operates, the operation of the brushes and the vacuum cleaner is disconnected, and the robot itself tries to leave this place, after which the work resumes.
The function of air ionization is necessary for those families where there are allergies. It assumes the presence in the device of an ultraviolet lamp that disinfects the surface being cleaned, thereby reducing the risk of allergic reactions. There are models that can accompany cleaning with music. Of course, this is an excess, but someone might like it. Each robot vacuum cleaner is equipped with a dust bag or container. Usually it is emptied by hand, but for expensive models and this function is automated. The container is cleaned simultaneously with the charging of the device.
Some models are equipped with nozzles to collect pet hair. But do not put on a miracle: a shaggy carpet, clogged with wool, they can not clean.
Disadvantages of robots vacuum cleaners
In order not to experience disappointment from the use of expensive cars, it is worth knowing about its shortcomings:
- The robotic vacuum cleaner is not able to clean the corners of the room.
- Even if the robot has altitude sensors, you need to make sure that it does not fall off the ladder.
- Before starting the robot, you must first prepare the room: remove large debris from the floor (which it can not “swallow”), small objects (which it will tighten inside the bag without difficulty), it is desirable to raise chairs and wires (so that the robot does not “get lost” in them) .
- Do not throw away the usual vacuum cleaner, because the robot can not clean furniture and carpets on the walls.
- Most models can only work on flat surfaces, so they can not remove embossed flooring or carpets with long nap.
Rules of operation
There are a number of rules, compliance with which will ensure a long and safe operation of the robot vacuum cleaner:
- Do not allow water to enter the robot or even spray. Wipe the outer casing only with a dry cloth.
- Before you turn on the device, pick up clothes, newspapers, wires, cords from blinds, unstable objects.
- It is strictly forbidden to touch the charger or robot with wet hands.
- Watch for regular cleaning of brushes and dustbins, in time to clean them from debris and wrapped fibers.
- If, for whatever reason, the robot will remain idle for a long time, remove the charged battery from it.
- Never remove chemical substances, spilled paint, bleach with it.
- Note that if the floor in your home is very dark, the robot’s work may be ineffective.